We are so honored to be chosen as one of the National Green Ribbon Schools for 2012. Principal Brown and I were able to travel up to Washington, DC for the week to receive the award and collaborate with leaders in Environmental Education from across the country.
We were chosen for this award based on the following pillars:
GREEN RIBBON SCHOOLS PILLARS AND ELEMENTS
- Reduced Environmental Impact and Costs
- Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions, using an energy audit or emissions inventory and reduction plan, cost-effective energy efficiency improvements, conservation measures, and/or and on-site renewable energy and/or purchase of green power;
- Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation;
- Reduced solid and hazardous waste production through increased recycling, reduced consumption, and improved management, reduction, or elimination of hazardous waste; and
- Expanded use of alternative transportation, through active promotion of locally-available, energy-efficient options and implementation of alternative transportation supportive projects and policies.
- Improved Health and Wellness
- An integrated school environmental health program based on an operations and facility-wide environmental management system that considers student, visitor and staff health and safety in all practices related to design, construction, renovation, operations, and maintenance of schools and grounds; and
- High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time for both students and staff.
- Effective Environmental and Sustainability Education
- Interdisciplinary learning about the key relationships between dynamic environmental, energy and human systems;
- Use of the environment and sustainability to develop STEM content knowledge and thinking skills to prepare graduates for the 21st century technology-driven economy; and
- Development of civic engagement knowledge and skills, and students’ application of these to address sustainability and environmental issues in their community.
It was incredible to be in the company of such innovative thinkers in the field of Environmental Education. I’m looking forward to continue working with these leaders as we encourage other schools to excel in the areas of reduced environmental impact and costs, improved health and wellness, and effective environmental and sustainability education.
One thought on “National Green Ribbon School”