This lesson is an extension of our seeds unit and gives Kindergarten students the opportunity to sort seeds by color, shape, and size. The activity was inspired by Sarah Dasher’s lessons with the Captain Planet Foundation. It addresses the following standards:
Measurement and Data
- Describe and compare measurable attributes.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.MD.A.1. Describe measurable attributes of objects.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.MD.A.2. Directly compare two objects with a measurable attribute in common and describe the difference.
- Classify objects and count the number of objects in each category.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.MD.B.3. Classify objects into given categories, count the number of objects in each category and sort the categories by count.
Here is a photo of my 5th grade Green Team members trying out the lesson before teaching the kindergarteners:
To see the resource I created for the lesson, click the image below: