To celebrate the Halloween season, we read some of our favorite fiction and non-fiction books about pumpkins. Then, we made pumpkin smoothies!
Pumpkin has many health benefits!
- Pumpkins contain about 200% of your daily Vitamin A and keep your eyesight sharp.
- Pumpkins contain about 20% of your daily Vitamin C which can boost your immune system.
- Pumpkins are high in fiber and can help you feel full after eating.
- Pumpkin seeds can help your heart and boost your mood.
- Pumpkins are a source of beta-carotene (like carrots and sweet potatoes) which may play a role in cancer prevention.
- The carotenoids in pumpkins can help protect your skin.
- Pumpkins have even more potassium than a banana which restores your body’s electrolytes and helps muscles function at their best.
To create our smoothies, we first examined our recipe and determined that we needed to make three times the recipe. We used a fraction work mat to multiply the fractions and determine the new amounts. Then, we added the ingredients one-by-one to the blender before mixing it up and taking a taste!
Here are a few photos from our lesson at Forever Family (Photo Credit: Kwabena Nkromo, Atlanta Food & Farm):